Friday, November 2, 2007

Waiting for Hurricane Noel


On a beautiful fall day, it's hard to believe a wicked storm is coming, but the weatherman tells us Hurricane Noel is on its way to the Atlantic provinces after wreaking havoc all over the Caribbean. Lots of rain and wind to come, so today I've been gathering up lawn chairs, flower pots, big plastic totes (I'll explain those later), in short whatever's not nailed down. Now everything is more or less secure (I hope) in the rather aged and rickety old shed out back. It has a leaky roof and a door that won't shut all the way, but at least things can't blow around and break windows. We often get tail end hurricanes here, being on the coast, and past experience tells me it's best to have water bottled up and buckets in the tub in case of power outages. We may get off easy this time, but with the prospect of 100 km. winds and lots of rain, better safe than sorry.



About the totes - here on our island big, heavy duty plastic boxes are used in the fishery, and they are also great for a lot of gardening chores, from gathering leaves to using as planters. A lot are made with pre-drilled holes and make sturdy, if not elegant, tomato containers.



While I love living away from the city, there are drawbacks to rural life. Yesterday was a case in point. About twice a month, it is necessary to trek to the mainland for grocery shopping, library visits, drugstore necessaries, etc. I say trek advisedly, as usually my mum and I go with my sister and it's really an expedition. We all read a lot, so three or more heavy bags of books, several coolers for meat, milk, etc. are all piled in with bags of groceries. Not squashing the bread and not mixing up our bags is like a game, & it's a rare trip that someone doesn't get the wrong bag.


On the plus side, the trip includes a scenic ferry ride. Yesterday the wind was high, the sea a bit rough, but the view was lovely. Under grey skies, flocks of black & white ducks (probably old squaws) took off in unison over the water, a loon bobbed in the surf close to a rocky beach, and black-backed gulls cried out overhead. Back home on the island, we drove past a yard near Dad's home where two yearling deer looked up casually and then went back to grazing. They likely belong to the family of the big doe who visited Dad's garden and devoured his tomatoes a month ago. They're a nuisance, but I wish them safe till hunting season is over.


While I scrambled around the yard cleaning up this morning, I looked to the west and saw two bald eagles flying high above the trees, where from their vantage point they look down on the cove. They fly in slow circles, the adults confident, the immature less adept and using their wings a lot more often.


On such a day of golden trees and crystal blue sky, it's sad to think of four young men who died in a car crash in this province recently, the second such accident this fall. Two were the age of my own boy. My heart aches for them and for their families, knowing what's ahead of them. At times like that, my thoughts go to my firstborn son. Looking at the beauties of each day, I remember him and wish he were still with us to enjoy them. We lost him seven years ago when he was 29, and he was laid to rest not far from here, in a peaceful cemetery near the sea and the woods. I know it's a long road those families face from here, and my prayers & best wishes are with them. At the worst of times, there is still comfort in the rhythms of the natural world.


Rachel Carson has a quote that I've always loved,


Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts. There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature -- the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter.









No comments: